Aug 14, 2011

Caramba! El tiempo vuela!

Within a matter of few days, everyone is leaving! Well, not everyone, but lots of dear people. I'm in the process of saying goodbye to all sorts of friends and today at church I was informing everyone, including my family, that I'm leaving next week for Hillsdale. False.

I have two weeks left at home.
I knew I had to be down at the 'dale on the 28th but the mathematical truth of the distance between today's date and then didn't dawn on me until this instant. I have two weeks! Two weeks!

In that time, I hope to perfect the teepee, recall what little remains of my German vocabulary (or else I will be speaking Spanish in die Deutsch Kurs), work on getting my TEFL certificate and enjoying the waning days of fall in the Upper Peninsula, among other things.

My "little" sister is heading to college--tomorrow! It's unbelievable. I remember calling her my 'little sister' just to annoy her, but I can say, thankfully, that it's been a few years since I tacked on that adjective. The three-year difference between us is shrinking by the day, it seems. Time is an unusual concept: it seems its own entity sometimes.

(And guess what, we're not actually three years apart! We're two years and 9.2 months apart, or something like that. I just enjoyed saying I was three years older, back in the days of my youth. I'm certainly over silly things like that now...)


So, I am still in shock: I have an entire week extra! I feel like I just won something. But in reality, it's time to do work and be a functional, hard-working human being before I get bogged down with schoolwork. And, time is always a gift!

"Therefore be careful how you walk, not as unwise men but as wise, making the most of your time, because the days are evil. So then do not be foolish, but understand what the will of the Lord is." That's from Ephesians 5. It's been on my mind lately: I like the exhortation to make the most of our time and to understand the will of God. I've been pondering that lately, as I enter my senior (senior!) year at Hillsdale. I just keep seeking His will and trusting. What more can I do? Worry is sin, so I shan't do it. Or at least that's my intention, but I am human.

Speaking of making the most of your time, as I was playing catch with my dad today, I was scolding him (which is a terrible habit of mine) about his multi-tasking. I am convinced that multi-tasking is just a hyperbole for doing multiple things poorly at the same time. If we are going to do something, let's do it well! Play well; rest well; eat well; sing well; speak well, etc. That's why I don't do homework on Sundays at school. It is perfectly doable! The majority of students seem to be doubters, but I disagree with the standard homework-everyday-all-day mentality. If we do our work well during the week, we can rest well on Sunday and catch up with our families, or do whatever we'd like. But if we want to rest well, we have to work well.
Studying with people doesn't really work. Yes, if you want to study with that guy you really like, go "study" with him and sooner or later, you'll probably be Hillsdating. If you want to "study" with your friends for your history class, go do it--just don't be ignorant of the fact that you're probably not studying as efficiently as you would alone. And by probably, I mean, you're not.
(Is this a founded judgement? I think so. This series of statements also seems to contradict my Myers-Briggs personality test results. They say I'm a perceiver and I think I am. Perhaps I might just be both 100% perceiving and judging. It's totes possible, right? I'm equally extroverted and introverted too...and as per usual, I find myself side-tracked in my thoughts.)

I think my stream of consciousness would confuse and frighten most people. Therefore, I will press "Publish" now and end this. It's time to go set up the teepee again!


No comments:

Post a Comment